Books

The Royal Hospital - A Pictorial History The Royal Hospital - A Pictorial History

The Royal Hospital - A Pictorial History

The Royal Hospital - A Pictorial History

The Royal Hospital - A Pictorial History

The Royal Hospital - A Pictorial History

The Royal Hospital Haslar
A Pictorial History

Eric Birbeck, Ann Ryder and Phillip Ward
Format : 274 x 206mm
Binding : Hardback/Softback
Pages : 128
Illustrations : 245 integrated colour section
Published : 2009
ISBN 13 : 978-1-86077-589-5

HB £18.99
SB £13.99

The Royal Hospital Haslar was the first of three hospitals built in the 18th century for sick and wounded sailors and marines and was the last to remain in service. Following submissions to King George II by the Earl of Sandwich, First Lord of the Admiralty, sites were identified at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham, and building commenced at Haslar farm in 1745. Designed by Theodore Jacobsen FRS in the manner of his Foundling Hospital in London, the hospital, reputed at one time to be the largest red brick building in Europe, was completed in 1762.

Haslar was grand in concept, elegant in design and robust of build, and provided medical attention and nursing care to the sick and wounded of both Fleet and Army. This may not have been of the highest order in the early years, but the standards achieved during the Peninsular and Crimean Wars earned the hospital a reputation among military authorities that was unequalled. Sir John Richardson, eminent Arctic explorer and physician at Haslar, even corresponded with Florence Nightingale when the nursing reformer was campaigning for changes in the way casualties of war were treated.

Described as the noblest of institutions by Queen Victoria, the Royal Hospital Haslar has provided medical care to the Royal Navy for over 250 years and Sick Berth staff for service in all areas of global conflict. In more recent times it treated patients from all three services and since the 1950s has made the professional and technological expertise contained within its walls accessible to civilian patients. The photographs in this fascinating illustrated history will stir the memory of all those who have entered Haslar, as either staff or patients, and provide a unique record of a singular and celebrated institution.

The  Church of St. Luke An  Appreciation

The Church of St. Luke
Royal Haslar
An Appreciation
by Eric C. Birbeck MVO

Softback - 58 pages
Price £8.00 + £1.20 P&P

1963 and St. Lukes Church Haslar stood at the centre of the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar, roofless and ravaged by death watch beetle and with no defined budget for repairs and restoration. Two centuries earlier St. Luke's, due to an oversight was the last building to be completed and opened in 1762, thus completing the building of Royal Hospital Haslar, the first naval hospital in the United Kingdom. This booklet explains the story behind St. Luke's being finally built in 1762, the transportation of the church clock from London and two centuries later the involvement of Sir John Betjeman in the eventual restoration of the church.

The    Church of St. Luke An    Appreciation
The    Church of St. Luke An    Appreciation

A Visit To Haslar - 1916

A VISIT TO HASLAR, 1916
by Major-General JOHN B. RICHARDSON Colonel Commander, Royal Artillery
Edited by Eric C. Birbeck MVO

Price £6.00 + £1.30 P&P
This enthralling little book describes the reflective return to the Royal Hospital Haslar in 1916, by the distinguished Military son of an eminent Naval Surgeon and naturalist some eighty years after he was first brought to Haslar as a child.
In his own words Richardson describes both his visit and childhood memories of life in a busy Victorian hospital. Edited and published with photographs of the time, some of which have not been seen for many years this book will make interesting reading for anyone who has a love for this fine hospital.
Please contact us through our Facebook Page to make any enquiries. THANK YOU.
Copyright on all photo's remain the property of MoD, Haslar Heritage Group, Eric Birbeck and Nicola Smith and are not to be reproduced without prior permission.
Site Design by Nicola Smith in conjunction with Ann Ryder
Background image reproduced by kind permission of John Pounds